Monday 26 November 2012

The T Junction

We have all been faced with conflicting choices at one point or another. More so than we realize, these choices (however seemingly insignificant at the time) can have great impact on who we are as people. Obviously we aren't talking about your typical 1% versus 2% milk dilemma; but rather decisions that I like to call "t-junctions". Go to university or start working? Stay at home or move out? Learn another language? Move to another country or stay in your native one?

For a lot of people, these decisions are no-brainers. However, the reality is that they often make them based on expectations that have been set for them from early in life. Most of us are born with a predetermined path to happiness that is constructed with materials provided by one's culture, religion, family, gender, race, social class, or any other combination of definitive factors. Come to the t-junction and go left. At the next one make sure you turn right.

That's too easy. Why should anyone just accept a path that has been set for them? What if I want to take a different path? Perhaps one not offered at the t-junction.

This is the t-junction that I feel like I'm standing at right now; and deep inside me is the growing desire to grab a cutlass and start hacking my way through the middle until I reach the destination of my choosing. I strongly believe that it's time for me to invest in one of those. This blog will be my first cutlass. Let's see how sharp I can make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment